Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Dad


October 29 2007, it has been 1 year since my dad's passing. A few weeks before my dad died, I took Carver over to my parents house. While we were there my dad told me somethings that he wanted me to tell Carver when he was older and to let him know that it was from grandpa Kim. When he said that, the tears started to flow and all I could do was shake my head. I wanted so badly to ask him what he wanted me to know but like everyone else, I thought that I had at least a few months to ask him my question. I regret not being able to ask him and I am sure that Tami, Eddie, Andy and my Mom feel the same way. So I want them to know what I think dad would have said....
To Andy,
Tami said to me after the funeral that dad always thought that Tami was the mean one, I was the sweet one, Eddie the smart one, and yes you were the clumsy one. But no matter what it was that you did, you always made dad smile. He loves you for your personality, your ability to love and nurture anyone, how you always like to try knew things and your wiliness to help out at anytime or any place. He is proud of your accomplishments in graduating from college, the carer that you have chosen and your desire to build a home for your family. He is grateful for Mallory and Alli and for the man, husband and father that they have helped you become!
To Eddie,
You and dad always had a very special bond. You are very similar in a lot of different ways. He loves you for your desire to never give up and for your ability to solve the problem. He is grateful that you never back down from what you believe in and that you are always up for a good challenge. He is proud of you for fulfilling your dreams of becoming a dentist and for your ability to provide for your family. He is proud of the dad that you have become and the example that you are to Carson. He loves Michelle and is proud of the love that you share together!
To Tami,
Dad always used to say that it was going to be hard to give his daughters away when they decided to get married, but he said that you would be easy because you were such a pain in the butt. He is so proud of the woman that you have become. Dad loves you for your level head, your ability to think clear and to stay clam. He could trust you with anything. He loves that you will try new things and not give up until its done. He loves you for your ambition whether it be in school, work or at home. He loves that you made him a grandpa three times and for the family that you and Brent share!
To Mom,
You and dad are the example of true love. Dad loves you for your desires and ambitions. He loves you for your ability to start and accomplish your goals. He loves how sincere and loyal you are and how you will help anyone in need. He loves that you take great pride in who you are and what you stand for. He loves that you love and adore your grandchildren. He loves you for the mother that you are to us and for the wife that you have been to him for the last thirty years.
These are thoughts that I have had throughout the year and I think that dad would agree with me completely and I am sure that he would add a lot more to the question, "what do you want me to remember." Not a day, sometimes an hour, goes by that I don't think about dad. I am so grateful for dad. He is a great example to me and my family. I love him so much and I miss him terribly! I am so thankful for my family and friends, for their love and support throughout this last year and for the years to come!

9 comments:

Emily M said...

Julie- I am sitting here with tears in my eyes reading your post. You and your family have been such great examples to everyone around you on the way to handle a tragedy, trial, and test that comes into our lives. I really admire all of you. I know that your dad would be VERY proud of the mother and wife that you are too! You are such a great person- I love you so much and am thinking of you!

Hayley said...

OH Julie, I hope you don't mind me commenting on such a beautiful and personal post.

Travis was diagnosed again about 2 months after your dad passed away, and your family was on my mind all the time, and I cannot imagine how hard this must have been on all of you. I still think of your family often, and am so thankful to have read this post. It was perfect.

Tami said...

Thanks for sharing this. It is very well written and I think you're right on the money. Thanks for being such a great sister. I love you.

Melissa Hernandez said...

That was such a sweet post about your dad. I have so many fond memories of your dad. Our trip to Lake Powell, Kim letting us take the "cool" car to Wal-Mart-to see if we could pick up on any guys :O), he always had us laughing!! I think your dad would really appreciate this post, your family is so strong and such a great example to everyone!Luv ya!

Michelle said...

You and your family amaze me! The strength you have as a family is unreal. Your dad is looking down with a smile! He loves his family and it showed in all he did. He was always cheering you guys on and never missed an activity his kids were involved in! Thank you for sharing this with us. We love you!

Kylene said...

Beautiful post Jules. I'm sure he is so proud of you and all the great things you're doing too. Thanks for sharing this with us all.

Larson Family said...

I am sitting here crying! That was a beautiful post and I am sure your family appreciates it. I have some great memories of your dad. I am sure he is so proud of who you are and your accomplishments. Thanks for sharing that post.

Brittney said...

Hello Jules!
I finally found you. That was such a beautiful tribute. It's so important to sometimes say what we feel. I loved the pictures of your family, too! I can't believe all the grandkids! Sometimes in my mind it seems things will always be the same as they were back when. I love to see how everyone grows and changes and how we all have been able to do some awesome things!

mstokes said...

Julie,
I hope that you don't mind that I am taking a peak at your blog! The love of a parent is something that you can't even begin to understand til you become a parent yourself. Your dad was great! I can't even think of him without a smile. Thanks for the memories. We really had some fun summers together. I love you & your family. I hope that your hearts are healing, but your memories will last forever.
* my blog is private, but i would love to invite you if you would like to - Melissawall_2000@yahoo.com - send me youe email.